skip to main content

Registration FAQ's

Do I have to register online?
Yes, all registration is done online.

What if I do not have access to a computer at home?  Where can I go register?
You may register at the local public library, your work place or anywhere that has computers with Internet access.  Additionally, you can visit your child’s school during open office hours to complete the online registration.  If you are having trouble with the registration process, contact your child’s school during open office hours.

Will I need to see the registrar before school starts?
All NEW online registrations need to be finalized by the school site registrar.  Additionally, parents/guardians of NEW middle and high school students may need to make an appointment with the school counselor for scheduling. The registrar will handle any necessary school counselor appointments during your registration appointment.  (This does not apply to matriculating students.)

How long will it take to complete the online portion of the registration?
Typically NEW online registration will take approximately 30-45 minutes per child.  The Information Verification for returning (which includes matriculating) students will take approximately 10 minutes per child and is done through your existing PowerSchool Parent Account.  {Verification opens annually on July 15th.  Do not create a NEW student registration for a promoting/matriculating student; erroneous registrations will be deleted from the system.}  If you need to step away, the registration system will save your session and you can resume later by logging back in.  Save your PowerSchool Parent Account passwords in a safe location - you will be accessing this site at least once a year to verify student information. 

Do I have to answer every question?
Questions marked with a red asterisk (*) are required.

I have a returning student and when I click on "Info Verification" in my Parent Account it asks for a "SnapCode".  Can I register under New Student Registration?
No, if your child is a returning student you must verify the information through your PowerSchool Parent Account.  Registering under New Student Registration will put your child in PowerSchool twice.  Once logged in to your Parent Account, if the site asks you for a SnapCode chances are your student is too new to be in the verification portal. {Verification opens annually on July 15th.  Do not create a NEW student registration for a promoting/matriculating student; erroneous registrations will be deleted from the system.}

What if some of the pre-populated information was wrong when I logged in to PowerSchool Online Registration?
Correct whatever information is allowed to be changed.  Note that some information cannot be changed online using PowerSchool Online Registration and will need to be changed in person at the school during open office hours.  Bring in your legal documentation for name and other legal changes.

I’ve moved over the summer and my child will be going to a different RUSD school.
First, call the front office of both schools and let them know you've moved.  Office staff will be able to direct you in the next proof of residency steps.  Once the school transfer process has been completed with the school(s), alert them to change the "enrolled school" in the online registration form so you can complete your online back-to-school forms for the correct school.  Please note that once you open the verification form, the enrolled school cannot be changed until you've completed the online process.

If none of my child’s information changed, do I still need to do the online verification process?
Yes.  In addition to the Emergency Contact and Health Information needed, there are several agreement questions that must be answered each year for your child’s health and safety, technology access and participation in instructional programs.  There are also household military status and housing questions that must be collected annually.

What if I make a mistake?
If you would like to make a change – prior to submitting the form – you can either navigate back to the page using the “<Prev” and “Next>” buttons.  Or, if you are on the Review page, click on the underlined field.  If you have already submitted the form, then you will need to contact your student’s school so staff members can make the changes for you.

I’ve completed the form.  Now what?
Once you have finished entering your information, click “Submit”.  This will send all of the information you’ve entered to the school.  If you cannot click on this button, you will need to make sure that you have answered all required questions. 

What if I have more than one student in the district? Do I have to do this for each child?
Yes, because you’ll need to provide information that is specific for each child. When you complete the information verification process for one student, navigate back to your Parent Account, select your next student, and launch the verification process again.

I have an existing Parent Portal account.  How do I register a new Kindergarten student?
The registration system account is separate/different from the Parent Portal account.  Follow the posted instructions for registering a NEW student.  Once your new student has completed the entire registration process and has a school enrollment record, your new student can be tied to your existing PowerSchool Parent account with access keys.

I just registered my NEW Kindergarten student through the NEW Student portal.  Do I have to re-register my existing student(s) here too?
No.  Returning RUSD students go through an online information verification process; not a full new student registration.  Access your existing student(s) through your Parent Account to verify student information.

My returning student is entering Middle/High School.  Do I have to re-register him/her?
Is your student matriculating from a feeder school within the district?  In other words, did your student promote from one of RUSD's elementary or middle schools?  All promoting RUSD students, no matter the grade level, are handled through your PowerSchool Parent Account.  Student data records promote with them to the next school site.  This verification process opens annually on July 15th and is accessible through your Parent Account.  Do not create a NEW student registration for a promoting/matriculating student; erroneous registrations will be deleted from the system.

I want to register for one of the schools on the Ramona Community Campus (Mountain Valley Academy or Ramona Community Montessori School).  Do I enroll online?
As schools of choice, the enrollment process differs from other RUSD school sites. We ask that, before using the online enrollment tool, families complete a paper application form and conference with a teacher or the principal to assure that independent study (MVA K-12) or Montessori (RCMS K-6) is a good match for a particular student. Mountain Valley Academy (MVA) and Ramona Community Montessori School (RCMS) have limited enrollment space as both schools draw from the entire Ramona community, not just a particular boundary area. The Ramona Community Campus is located at 1010 Ramona Street.  Please call the RCC front office at 760-787-3600 during open office hours to proceed.  Once you're approved for admittance, the RCC front office will direct you to complete the online registration process.

I want to register at Future Bound Independent Study.  Do I enroll online?
As a school of choice, the enrollment process for Future Bound Independent Study differs from other RUSD school sites. We ask that, before using this online enrollment tool families conference with the Principal to assure that Future Bound Independent Study is a good match for the student. Future Bound has limited enrollment space. The school site is located at 720 9th Street, Room #8 on the Montecito High School campus.  Please call Future Bound at 760-787-2068 during open office hours to proceed. 

I’m not sure how to answer a question. I don’t know what the question is asking.
Don’t hesitate to call your school during open office hours if you have a question about a specific item.

I've logged into my Parent Account, but when I try to launch the "Information Verification" the system spins and doesn't get past authentication.
Chances are you have a special character (& ' #) in your username that is causing havoc in the authentication process.  You can adjust your username and password for your Parent Portal account within your Parent Portal account.  If you are unsuccessful resolving your username on your own, contact your school site to adjust your Parent Portal username.

I'm having trouble using the online registration system. Who should I contact for help?
If you require technical support, please email or call 866-752-6850.  PowerSchool Registration support is ready to help Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm CST, with extended hours until 7pm in July and August.  PowerSchool Registration support is for technical questions only; they will not be able to give you your SnapCode or answer any site registration questions.  If you have a question related to a specific registration question or the registration process, please contact your school's front office during open office hours.  If you're having difficulty setting up your Parent Account, visit the Parent Account section of this website for troubleshooting and extensive FAQ's.  Still having trouble?  Contact your school sites front office during open office hours.

Is this system secure?
Yes, PowerSchool Registration and the PowerSchool Parent Account utilizes SSL encryption to protect all data that is processed through the system.

Data Privacy
PowerSchool Registration's privacy policy can be referenced here.

When is the first day of school?
The first day of school for the 2018-2019 school year was August 20, 2018.

Where can I get information concerning my child’s school?
Call your child’s school concerning any questions you may have concerning registration, teacher, hours, etc.  You may also visit their webpage for more school site information.

Who do I contact for questions about school of residency, Inter-district Transfers, or Intra-district (school-to-school) Transfers?
The Business Services office handles questions related to school of residency and also provides applications for both Inter- & Intra-district transfers.  When registering for elementary school online, your school of residency must be selected and all School-to-School transfers must be approved by the Business Services office. Reference the Address Guide to look up your specific address.  If you still have questions after checking the online address guide, contact Nona Silverthorn at 760-787-2023 or to verify home school and/or for information and paperwork.

How can I apply for Free/Reduced Lunch?
Food Service applications/benefits expire October 1st each year; they must be renewed annually.  You can apply for assistance for the 2018-2019 school year by contacting Food & Nutrition Services.  The Food & Nutrition Services department is open during the summer months and can accept applications starting August 1, 2018 (prior to the first day of school) to ensure there is no interruption in your student(s) meal services for the 2018-2019 school year.  Any questions concerning free/reduced lunch please contact Emily Cena or Julie Fields at 760-787-2048.  Check out the Food & Nutrition Services section of this district website for more information.

ADA Compliance Errors 0