skip to main contentskip to navigation

Substitute Teacher

Substitute teachers Needed!

Learn how to become a substitute teacher!


The Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit authorizes the holder to serve as a day-to-day substitute teacher in any classroom, including preschool, kindergarten, and grades 1-12 inclusive, or in classes organized primarily for adults. The holder may serve as a substitute for no more than 30 days for any one teacher during the school year, except in a special education classroom, where the holder may serve for no more than 20 days for any one teacher during the school year. This permit is valid for one year and is renewable


To apply for the Emergency 30-day Substitute Permit, please mail or drop off the following items to the SDCOE main office at 6401 Linda Vista Rd., San Diego, CA 92111. Applications must be complete and will not be accepted in pieces

Please click this Checklist to verify qualifications and submit it with your materials.

1. Official Transcripts Showing Your Bachelor's Degree or Higher

Official transcripts must be from a regionally accredited college or university and must have your degree posted. Please have your university either email the official electronic transcripts to or you can have them send hard copies to you in which you will give to SDCOE. SDCOE and the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) do not accept electronic transcripts sent directly to the applicant. If you decide to use hard copies, you may mail or drop off the original hard copy to SDCOE, 6401 Linda Vista Road, room 104, San Diego, CA 92111. The transcripts can be open as long as they are on the original university water-colored paper. This will not be returned to you. Diplomas, photocopies of transcripts, electronic transcripts sent to the student, and unofficial transcripts are NOT accepted.

2. Basic Skills Requirement

Generally, this is completion of the CBEST.  However, CTC does accept a number of other means to meet this requirement.  These are explained in the Basic Skills Requirement leaflet found on the CTC website. Please mail or drop off these official score reports to our office. If you are qualifying based on units, you will need to submit the CL-130 form as well.

3. Appropriate Fingerprinting (Click here for more information.)

CTC fingerprinting:  These fingerprints are required by CTC in order to grant you the substitute permit. Mail or drop off a copy of the completed 41-LS form after you are printed or a photocopy of your Certificate of Clearance (if applicable)

Clearinghouse fingerprinting:  These fingerprints are required by most school districts in San Diego County to employ you as a sub teacher AND for SDCOE to issue you a Temporary County Certificate.  These fingerprints are not required to apply for a sub permit, but will be required before employment in a substitute position. More fingerprinting information can be found on SDCOE's website here.

4. Temporary County Certificate

Complete a Temporary County Certificate form (TCC). Once SDCOE reviews your packet and sign off on the TCC, this document will serve as a receipt verifying you submitted the appropriate materials to their office.

ADA Compliance Errors0